Re: periods inside quotation marks?

Subject: Re: periods inside quotation marks?
From: "D. Margulis" <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 12:14:10 -0400

Shannon,

The rule to put button text in quotes is one you should endeavor to
change. (I know you say you are bound by it, but I think you can make a
case to treat buttons another way.)

Do you put keys in quotes, too? Do you tell people to type "A" and then
press "Enter"?

If you need to distinguish between the typographic treatment of keys and
buttons, do it with fonts--maybe bold for one and italic for the other.
However, I think even this is silly and cluttered. If you are consistent
with using the verb _press_ for keys and the verb _click_ for buttons,
you should be able to type everything in plain roman text, with no
quotes at all. Just use an initial cap to name each key or button.

Point to Microsoft style (in their manuals, in their style guide, in
their Office Help, etc.), if you need to provide evidence to satisfy
your boss. (You don't have to _like_ Microsoft; just pretend you're
collecting a debt for a bookie, and you're bringing along Big Bill the
Enforcer for backup.)

Dick