Re: Newsletter guidelines?

Subject: Re: Newsletter guidelines?
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 18:09:35 +0200

Patty,

it depends all on how big your newsletter is supposed to be, and whether
you do all the writing or have to rely on contributions. It also depends on
what you want to do with your newsletter.

As you say, it is an employee newsletter. So, I don't see why there should
be no space for the "human interest". It could be that you may run short on
"professional" contents, and then you may be glad to have some interna to
put in.

I do get an employees newsletter of a railroad company with something
around 2500 employees. In fact, it is more a magazine than a newsletter,
with 32 to 48 pages. However, it is a bit less of contents, as that
railroad company has three working languages, but not all articles appear
in all three languages. About half of the newsletter is dedicated to a
certain topic. That can be on a rather high technical level. One third of
the newsletter is kind news and information, including the "words from
Management", comments about the company in the press, events etc. The rest
is directly employee related, and contains lists of new employees,
retirements, weddings, births etc. Also, it contains obituaries of
employees having passed away during their active working life (either of
illness or as victim of accidents (keep in mind, railroad work can be
dangerous)).

This newsletter is under the responsibility of the press relations manager,
and two persons do help him. The newsletter is also sent out to the press
and other interested parties.

So, as said, you have to decide what level you want to aim for. If you have
enough "professional" material, you can aim for one kind of newsletter, if
you really have only "personal" stuff, you may have to go for a gossip
paper.

For weddings etc., a short notice is always a good idea. Of course, one of
the parties involved must be an employee. A bit more might be appropriate,
if the event was some kind of social event for the company.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap