Newsletter guidelines? -Reply

Subject: Newsletter guidelines? -Reply
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:55:30 -0400

"They've recently moved the employee newsletter here from HR to me. ...they are hoping to try for a more professional angle ...
... anyone else ... have a set of guidelines of what is included?
I...would rather not reinvent the wheel."
Thanks! Patty Ewy

Patty;
What sort of focus do they want for this newsletter? Are they looking to "pull the team together" and create a better morale-boosting atmosphere, or do they want to use it more for corporate and company news, or both?

I think that the first step is, as always, to know your reader...but also know the plan of the "powers that be" (corporate bigwigs). Then attempt to reconcile the two.

I used to put out a newsletter for my students (Adult continuing ed computer course) that included articles on upcoming computer events, new software, the occasional funny computer cartoon or email list ("how is a computer like a man?" and so on) , as well as an update on former students (kind of a "Where are they now?").

I found that a little bit of personal or lighthearted information went a long way, so I tried not to overdo it. You could focus on company events and trade information with a human touch and make it look bright and interesting the "ease" them into the new format.

Lisa Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer
Certification and Testing Division
Canadian Standards Association