Re: TIFF to RTF Help

Subject: Re: TIFF to RTF Help
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:16:13 -0700

Dear Harold Fichter,

Your attempt to convert a TIF graphic to the RTF format is not what you
want to do.

RTF stands for Rich Text Format and applies to text only. RTF lets text
files retain whatever formatting that has been applied to them and
that's pretty much it. You can't successfully change a TIF graphic to
text, which is what you're trying to do.

For the tables and text, you have to use an OCR-scanning program,
preferably one that adds OCR-specific scan commands to your word
processor so that you can directly edit the text from something like
Word or WordPerfect. You'll be able to get the text in the tables, but
not the ruled lines of the tables. Don't try to get those. Use the
Convert Text to Table... command in Word (or the WordPerfect equal) to
change the text into tabular text.

As for the drawings and other graphics, scan those into something like
Photoshop or PhotoPaint and save them as compressed TIFs, JPGs or GIFs
so you can insert them into your document.

Good luck!

George Mena