Re: macro virus...help!

Subject: Re: macro virus...help!
From: Greg Hanek <ghanek -at- INDIANA -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 19:22:25 -0600

At 8:42 AM -0400 5/14/98, Wollt, Richard C is alleged to have typed:

> Our experience with the macro "viruses" is that the first line of
> defense is to set your WORD normal.dot template to read only. And then
> never ok any changes to the template unless you are certain that you
> know what the change you are making does, and that you want that
> specific change. The anti-virus software is useful, and needed if you
> accept files from outside sources, but any software is only capable of
> catching previously identified viri (and some variants).

Not completely, but that is the way most commercial AV software
works. Good for the upgrade income stream.

There is at least one alternativethat considers certain behavior as
suspicious. It does not run automatically, but relies on you to want
to protect your machine. All it takes is a click on the button it
installs on the toolbar in MS Word to check a document. I recommend
Padgett Peterson's clever solution:

<http://www2.gdi.net/~padgett/av.htm>

Versions for Word 6, 95 and 97.

Freeware, too. Just make certain you are not in violation of his
license agreement ;-)

--

Greg Hanek ghanek -at- indiana -dot- edu
.disclaimer .pithy_quote