Re: Interview Questions

Subject: Re: Interview Questions
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:54:17 -0700

At 01:37 PM 5/12/98 -0700, Sella Rush wrote:

>This is all starting to sound a bit too much like a personal ad, but my
>point is this. What am I supposed to say to an interviewer? If I try to
>explain my problem, I just come off like someone refusing to commit myself.
>And yet I hate to apply such one-dimensional characterization to myself.
>The problem is that I tend to fail miserably in interviews when I focus on
>*the game* and stop trying to be honest and *real* about myself.

That's why these are silly questions. At best you are using a dubious
methodology to determine a good candidate, and at worst you are wasting
everybody's time. The same is true of the Hyman Rickover anecdote, which I
have also heard as a typical IBM method of judging candidates.

--Wayne
Wayne Douglass phone: 408-542-2139
Verity, Inc. FAX: 408-542-2040
894 Ross Road mailto:wayned -at- verity -dot- com
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 http://www.verity.com