Interview Questions

Subject: Interview Questions
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 19:24:53 -0400

"Eric J. Ray" WROTE

>Does anyone else have "interesting" culling questions, either
>from the interviewer or interviewee standpoint?

My favorite (okay, I'm morbid): "Isn't it awful boring being a technical
writer?"

To be fair, it was said by the non-hands-on partner, and I think it was
a test to see how fast I could think on my feet.
If so, it wasn't such a bad test, because I had to defend myself, stay
diplomatic, and turn the question around to something that could help me
get the job (Not bad training for handling one or two of the SMEs I've
met, come to think of it).

Of course, the hands-on partner's question at the same company is a
close second. After I noticed a cockatiel playground on his window-sill,
the hands-on partner asked, "And what kind of bird do you have?"

When I got the job, the e-mail announcement noted that I share an
apartment with four parrots, so that was the first job I got because of
my avian connection. Turns out that the hands-on partner felt
outnumbered by all the cat people in the company...

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Vancouver, BC, Canada

"Yours is the open road,