Where do we fit in?

Subject: Where do we fit in?
From: "Michael Hood; SET TECHWR-L NOMAIL" <hoodmp -at- RAPISTAN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:28:50 -0400

At Rapistan Systems, the technical writing group is part of the Marketing
Division. We still deal intimately with engineering. We have several
engineering departments here, mechanical, electrical, controls, software,
sales, and so on. The need to be in Marketing stems from the need to
ensure that the documentation leaving the company looks like it all came
from the same source -not just carry the same company name.

When I worked for BFGoodrich Avionics, the technical writers originally
worked in the engineering department. Then they were placed under logistic
support, then marketing, then customer service.

Because technical writing typically crosses all company departmental
boundaries, most companies have a difficult time finding a permanent 'slot'
for the group. Actually it makes little difference where the department
is couched, but it would be darn nice if it were in the "flush with cash"
part of the company!