Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- CORP -dot- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 12:17:39 -0700

Andrew, about your previous post... when you start by saying, "I have an
issue for everyone to ponder," people will start to ponder, and, well,
there you go.

More to the point, I think you got an answer, but it wasn't exactly what
you were looking for. The answer to "what do you do with non-technical
writers" seems to be... what's wrong with being non-technical? Most of
the responses you got were trying to explain that in a general sense,
being technical or non-technical is not an issue, the issue is being
able to write.

To answer your question more specifically, I've worked with writers who
could not handle complex technical information. Or maybe they just don't
want to. At any rate, what usually happens is that they get the easier
assignments, or they realize they're in over their head and leave. In
other words, the situation usually resolves itself.

The situation also depends on the technology in question. Some
technology can be learned on the job, for example, if you write about
hardware installation, that's pretty straightforward. On the other hand,
some technology takes a long time to learn. Since I can't read C code, I
would never take a job that required knowledge of C, because I know that
reading C is not something you just sort of pick up while you write a
manual. (Of course, if I was desperate it might be a different story.
I've jumped in way over my head a number of times.)

In your case, if the technology can be picked up fairly easily, and if
you have a really good writer, you might want to invest in that writer.
Eventually, you'll end up with a good writer who knows the technology.
You could instead start off with a bad writer who knows the technology,
and over time, end up with... a bad writer who knows the technology.

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com