Re: Propriety: New Twist on Professionalism & Secretaries Day

Subject: Re: Propriety: New Twist on Professionalism & Secretaries Day
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:13:21 -0700

I've been reading all the comments, and I generally agree that Phyllis
should just go with the group. When I travel with men at work they usually
act professionally toward me. Not all travelers are looking to ravish the
first person of the opposite sex they come across. Most just want to do
their work and go home.

I am wondering if your boss has a reason to be concerned about one of the
people you are traveling with. Perhaps he can't name names and situations,
but perhaps he is uncomfortable with the situation.

Another possibility is that he's just an old fashioned man who hasn't come
to grips with women who go where they want to and do what they want to do.

I think you should talk to him, if you can do this comfortably, and ask if
there are special reasons why he is concerned. If he has none, then tell
him that you are a professional and will go on this trip and act as a
professional. He may just be a worry wort (technical term), you know.

Marilynne
--------------------
At 12:34 PM -0500 4/28/98, Palmer, Phyllis wrote:
>Here's my question for you wise folks:
>
>Scenario: I need to go to several beta sites and new installations for
>training issues and installation documentation development. The
>'president' of our small company is adamant against males and females
>traveling together (large group going to same site, only one female;
>getting a ride to the airport with colleague, etc.) even for a working
>lunch. I say I can't live like that. I need the information from the
>site and I need to be with the developers as they analyze what's going
>on...
>
>What do you do?
>
>Thanks for your discussion of this topic.
>Phyllis

Marilynne Smith marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer (619) 651-6664
QUALCOMM AE-203B
"We'll have the whole world talking"