Re: Getting Into Computer Game Book Writing

Subject: Re: Getting Into Computer Game Book Writing
From: "Amy G. Peacock" <apeacock -at- WOLFENET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:31:23 -0700

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Eric Thomas wrote:

> This probably isn't the correct forum to ask in, but where would one go to
> get information about writing computer game books? I'm a technical writer
> at a software company now (the technical writer actually), and eventually
> want to try my hand at writing a computer game strategy guide or something
> along those lines. Anyway, does anyone have any advice (other than not to
> quit my day job)?
> Thanks in advance.
> -Eric

What a cool idea! Sometimes I forget that there are *all kinds* of
tech writing out there. Being a jewelry artist as well as a tech
writer, it has occured to me that *someone* has to write those
instructions for things like "How to use your glue gun." Especially
when I think of all the books/brochures/pamphlets I've read and said
to myself, "Huh? I could write better directions than this!" When you
stop and think about it, it makes sense to write about the things you
like - just might lead to job satisfaction... For example I would
never choose to write, "How to use your Hypodermic Needle." My heart
(and stomach) just wouldn't be in it.

Amy Peacock
techwriter
Amy_Peacock -at- rubyriver -dot- com