Re: Getting Into Computer Game Book Writing

Subject: Re: Getting Into Computer Game Book Writing
From: Keith Arnett <keith_arnett -at- RESTON -dot- OMD -dot- STERLING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 15:02:02 -0500

Eric:

Don't assume this is an impossible dream. There are plenty of game
companies out there, and they need technical writers just like
everyone else. I worked (as a contractor) for a game company and
produced user manuals for two separate games -- it was very
interesting and a lot of fun.

However, I think you will find that you will need fairly strong online
publishing skills, as these days, the trend seems to be to keep all
the documentation in the game (accessible from the F1 key, for
example).

I'd suggest that you learn what you can about the computer game
industry -- mostly via trade publications -- and then start knocking
on doors.

FWIW, the company I worked for is Kesmai Corp. (www.kesmai.com), and
you might want to make an inquiry there, as they were heavy users of
contract writers.

Good luck!

Keith Arnett
Technical Writer
Sterling Software, Inc./Operations Management Division
Reston VA USA

Subject: Getting Into Computer Game Book Writing
Author: Eric Thomas <eathomas -at- DBITS -dot- COM> at INTERNET
Date: 4/15/98 1:46 PM

This probably isn't the correct forum to ask in, but where would one go to
get information about writing computer game books? I'm a technical writer
at a software company now (the technical writer actually), and eventually
want to try my hand at writing a computer game strategy guide or something
along those lines. Anyway, does anyone have any advice (other than not to
quit my day job)?
Thanks in advance.
-Eric