Restrictive/Non-restrictive clauses

Subject: Restrictive/Non-restrictive clauses
From: Brandy Michelle Pariso <bmp0003 -at- JOVE -dot- ACS -dot- UNT -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:29:29 -0600

Hello,

I am a M.A. student in technical writing, and I am working on a white
paper for my technical editing class.

I am working with restrictive and non-restrictive clauses using "which"
and "that" and the humble comma. Primarily, "which" as a
non-restrictive element takes a comma, while "that" as a restrictive
element does not.

Recently, I have heard that a distinction is no longer made between the
"which" and "that."

I pose this question to all of you:

* When do you use the comma?

I am also curious about style guides:

* What style guides do you use?

* What do your in-house style guides say about "which" and "that?"

Please respond privately, so that I may compile my results. (Don't you
just love primary research?)

Thanks,

Brandy