Re: Is there a formal degree offered?

Subject: Re: Is there a formal degree offered?
From: Brandy Michelle Pariso <bmp0003 -at- JOVE -dot- ACS -dot- UNT -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 16:35:48 -0600

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998 18:16:15 EST Abohl <Abohl -at- AOL -dot- COM> wrote:
> I am looking to change careers paths and would very much like to break into
> the tech writing field.
>
> I have a degree in Microbiology and 5 years experience in a pharmaceutical
> manufacturing company. I need some direction. Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you
> Amy Bohlman

Amy,

I don't know of any undergraduate degrees offered in technical
communication. I am currently finishing my Master's degree in technical
writing at the University of North Texas. We also offer a certification
program--9 hours of upper-level coursework in technical writing.

You might try taking some classes at a university close to you and see if
technical writing interests you. I think a course or two would be
beneficial. Technical writing is definitely a skillset, and I think it
would be helpful to know about audience analysis, passive voice, and
nominalizations. And, of course, a technical writer must always be able to
discuss the merits of active white space. . . :)

I digress. . .

In your search for a program, I encourage you to search for one that
emphasizes strong writing and a strong technological/computer background.
Having these tools at your disposal will only make your more competitive in
the job search.

Best of luck to you and let me know if you have any questions. . .

Brandy