Did Microsoft really copyright "Wizard"?

Subject: Did Microsoft really copyright "Wizard"?
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <mark -at- MEMCO -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:12:30 +0200

Can somebody cite the source for the news that Microsoft
copyrighted the word "Wizard"?

First of all, I don't think you can copyright an isolated word
that is not your own invention. You can trademark it, if you
invent a connection between it and a product that it wouldn't
otherwise describe. So maybe Microsoft trademarked the word
"Wizard" as a description of a kind of interactive software.

But if that were the case, then whether and how the word "wizard"
is capitalized would not be an issue. If you use a word that
differs only in capitalization from a trademark, you're still
infringing the trademark. Maybe what Microsoft trademarked was
some graphical representation of the word "Wizard"? (The way
IBM trademarked the striped letters of its corporate identity?)

Anyway, I downloaded the list of trademarks from Microsoft's
website and Wizard isn't on it. TipWizard is. As of this
writing, the latest update of the list was January.

I tried to check Microsoft's list of product names, too.
(That's products.doc.) But it's evidently a Word 97 document
and even the standard converter won't make it readable on my
Word 7...

- Mark L. Levinson - Memco Software - Wallenberg 24 - 69719 Tel Aviv
- work: mark -at- memco -dot- co -dot- il / tel. 03-6450049 / fax 03-6450001
- home: nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il / tel. 09-9552411 or 09-9555720