Re: Where is best authority on current Mil Standard practice?

Subject: Re: Where is best authority on current Mil Standard practice?
From: John Gilger <bjgilger -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 09:07:04 -0800

Hi Rich,

You wrote:

>Hello to all,
>This is addressed to the subset of technical writers working on military
>manuals. I hope to connect with someone who can direct me to the best
>source of information on preparing technical manuals to meet mil specs. By
>that, I mean a real live person I can put questions to.

When I was in the Navy and writing manuals and procedures, I just plagarized
other manuals. That is, I looked at other manuals similar to the one I was
working on and made the format and style the same. After all, if I copied
from one that was approved and in the system, it was acceptable.

The Mil-Std is a bunch of gooblety-gook, mostly. Find a copy of a manual
addressing a similar topic and lay yours out as close to the same way as you
can.

John Gilger
Independent Wordsmith
Las Vegas, NV