Where is best authority on current Mil Standard practice?

Subject: Where is best authority on current Mil Standard practice?
From: "Richard J. Collins" <writejob -at- DNAI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 22:33:53 -0800

Hello to all,
This is addressed to the subset of technical writers working on military
manuals. I hope to connect with someone who can direct me to the best
source of information on preparing technical manuals to meet mil specs. By
that, I mean a real live person I can put questions to.

I have a copy of MIL-STD-38784, dated 2 July 1995, but I find it so
confusing to make sense of I am hoping that I can find an authority in or
out of government that can give us specific guidance.

What experience do people have going directly to the publishing agency in
the DOD? I assume this is Det 2 HQ ESC/AV-2 at Wright Patterson. Anyway,
there is a mail address on page ii for submitting "benificial comments" to
the spec, which is at Wright Patterson, but no advice on where to write
with questions.

I'm hoping to land an email address of a real live person. If I send a
letter I may get an answer next year long after this project goes to press.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Rich Collins