Re: Editorial Against PDFs

Subject: Re: Editorial Against PDFs
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 12:04:21 -0600

My guess is that Dianna, like myself, has attended far too many meetings
where some clueless individual has proposed PDF as an instant answer to
the need for online documentation. Why go to the effort and expense of
producing help files and web sites, when you can dump the manuals into
PDF and use that? I've seen the argument proposed by managers, and I've
seen marketing people actually do it and try to sell the results.

PDF is hated for enabling shovelware. But it's not the tool's fault that
some people abuse it.

For some purposes, you could put together a single-source document that
works in PDF and on paper. But a dump of a manual designed for paper is
likely to be a very bad online document, and that's a common mistake
that some of use are tired of arguing about. The argument is difficult,
because we are arguing against saving time and money.

I think that Dianna is objecting to a home video of a play appearing at
the Bijoux, while Barb is pointing out that a video camera may be of
great value to the cast.

In other words, PDF is good for some things and not for others. And
there are things that PDF can do cheaply with poor results.