Re: Editorial Against PDFs

Subject: Re: Editorial Against PDFs
From: "Jelinek, Jennifer" <JJelinek -at- PLYMOUTHWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:12:50 -0600

No software program is the end-all-be-all (and if such a software
program is ever invented, please let me know so I can buy stock in the
company). We recently had the PDF v. HTML discussion pertaining to our
company intranet. For new pages, pages designed specifically for the
intranet, HTML was the answer. But we're also planning to convert a
tremendous number of old technical manuals from paper to electronic
format, so we can archive them on CD's and on the intranet site. We need
to have these manuals look exactly as they would look on paper, so when
a customer calls, and is trying to describe what she's seeing in her
manual and how it relates to her equipment, our technicians are able to
follow along as easily as possible. It's also the quickest and most
cost-effective method for us.

It's one thing to say, "this format /software/ method does not fit my
needs". It's another thing to say that "this format / software / method
is useless". PDF may be misused at times, as are Word, PageMaker, HTML,
scripting languages, you name it. But that's no reason to malign
something that in some situations proves to be the best solution.

(Hope this wasn't a rant...but I've had it this week dealing with people
who always see things in black and white, who always think they're
right, and who always think others are wrong. Oops, guess that was a
rant too. TGIF!!!)
___
Jennifer Jelinek
Marketing Services Manager