Re: Word Autonumbering

Subject: Re: Word Autonumbering
From: Walter Hanig <wdh -at- NETMANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 07:27:10 -0800

At 12:54 PM 2/21/98 -0500, Tim Altom wrote:
>Got a couple of excellent responses to my question about suppressing Word's
>autnumbering kludge. We have to suppress it because if you interrupt the
>sequence of paragraphs with graphics, the numbering sequence breaks or
>becomes unreliable.
>
>Win Day had an even more intriguing idea, using SEQ fields. That may not
>work for us, with as many fields as we'd have to insert with some two
>hundred graphics, but I don't see why it wouldn't function.

I didn't see Win's post, but I use SEQ fields, with a few twists, to solve this.

First I create two autotext entries. One, named step1, is something like {seq stepno /r 1}.
I use this to assign the step number 1 to a paragraph. The second autotext, named stepn, is something like {seq stepno}. This just increments the previous value of the sequence named stepno.

Next create a menu item or keyboard shortcut or toolbar button to insert each autotext.

Finally, create a style for the numbered text.

Walter

Walter Hanig

NetManage, Inc.
12651 High Bluff Drive
San Diego, CA 92130, USA

Phone: 619-793-3173 FAX: 619-755-3998
e-mail: wdh -at- netmanage -dot- com wdhanig -at- rice -dot- edu
Blood Type: O+