Word to FrameMaker Conversion

Subject: Word to FrameMaker Conversion
From: Nancy Lookabaugh <starlady -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:06:33 -0500

Hello, all!

We have about a dozen user guides and as many as 5 technical writers at
any given time using 5 different computers to generate them on Word 7.
The documents range in length from 25 pages to 125, and approximately 12
different styles are used in each. We work at a "management by crisis"
facility, and as it happened, each of us built our own templates as we
worked on them. The result is that if I copy Sam?s template to my own
template folder and open his document, many of the styles change. If
Jane opens the same document, other styles change ? not necessarily the
ones that were "odd" when I opened it.

We are seriously considering switching to FrameMaker. But!! Is there
anything we can do to salvage our Word documents?? If we do initiate a
conversion project, what steps must we follow?

If these questions have already been answered in previous exchanges, I
apologize. I don?t have access to the ?net at work and can?t research
them.

Thank you for your help!!

Nancy Lookabaugh