Documenting from Program Specs

Subject: Documenting from Program Specs
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 13:13:45 -0500

Wow! Our company is taking a big step in the process maturity model.
I've been asked to write a manual based on the program specs. Up until
now, I've felt like software documentation would always be like
"changing a tire on a moving truck." Now the programmers will build
prototypes and I will base the documentation on those; kind of a
parallel development instead of a reactive one.

The goal is to have the documentation completed the same time as the
program. The programmers will be responsible for making sure the code
matches the specs and the manual. I remember a brief thread about this a
year or more ago and I wondered if it ever works in real life.

Have others found this to be a workable approach? Have you found fewer
revisions are necessary? Right now I'm looking forward to trying this
approach. I've also been asked to voice any concerns I have regarding
usability. Any comments?
--
Tom Johnson
Technical Writer

business mailto:johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal mailto:tjohnson -at- grandtraverse -dot- com
My opinions are still my own.