Re: Documenting from Program Specs

Subject: Re: Documenting from Program Specs
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 13:22:13 -0600

In theory, it sounds great....the problem is, at least with our company,
that the program specs are just not adequate for documenting the program
for the user. Rather, they are internal engineering/marketing
information. In addition to the inadequacies (or maybe because of
them...), the final product usual varies widely from the original specs.

I can offer some advice: get in early on the team that develops the
program specs. Go to all the meetings, attend all the demo sessions, and
participate in the discussions. If you see something that needs
changing, speak up. Offer to check the error messages, interface
features (buttons, field labels, menus, etc.), and insist on editing the
final cut of the specs.

Good luck,

Jane Bergen
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,