Re: Font choices

Subject: Re: Font choices
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 20:31:46 -0500

Stephen D. Martin wrote:

>Perhaps it's a failing on my part, but I know that amidst the >million and six other things I'm trying to keep track of, or >even begin to learn about, the arcane details of Times didn't >exactly make it into my top 10 (or 100 or 1000).

Not really - even though the subject is one I find fascinating.
Technical communication is so broad a field that very few people can
master all the skills associated with it. Just as many writers can get
by extremely well without knowing a programming language, many writers
don't need to know the details of typography to survive.

Equally, however, the breadth of the field means that there's room for
specialization. If you do know "the arcane details of Times," you've got
an advantage over those who don't.

Of course, they may also have an advantage over you in some other area.

(Hmmnn - this sounds unusually mellow for me in recent weeks. Must be
because I started my days with a bit of comedy).

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 687-2133 X. 269

"Good or bad, give me credit for what I have done. I would rather go
honestly to Hell, admitting that I leaped knowingly into error and
folly, than enter into the sweetest Heaven men can dream fo by whining
that I had been pushed."
--Steven Brust and Emma Bull, "Freedom and Necessity"