Re: Font choices

Subject: Re: Font choices
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 11:28:59 +1100

Stephen D. Martin wrote:

> I suspect that "most people" don't forget anything about Times, but
> simply never knew/don't know them. Please try not to forget that most
> (in fact, all) people need to learn something before they know it.
>
> Perhaps it's a failing on my part, but I know that amidst the million
> and six other things I'm trying to keep track of, or even begin to learn
> about, the arcane details of Times didn't exactly make it into my top 10
> (or 100 or 1000).

Touche -- to a point! Most people in our business are document designers
as well as text developers (aka writers). Issues of when a font works,
and when it doesn't, shouldn't be arcane details, but I agree that they
probably are.

> Could anyone recommend some easily digestible resources, in print or on
> the net, that would alleviate my typographic ignorance?

I think it was Bruce Byfield who referred you to
http://www.will-harris.com -- which is a real goldmine: lots of solid
info plus links to other sites.

--
Michael Lewis