Project Planning & Contractors/Consultants

Subject: Project Planning & Contractors/Consultants
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:31:50 PST

Do TW contractors and consultants do project management tasks such as:
end user analysis, determining project scope, and estimating? Do TW
contractors and consultants create significant amounts of content?

It has been my experience and observation that:

1.) TW contractors and consultants working at larger companies do not
do any significant project planning - even at the project management
level. The customer always wants the TW to create pages as soon as
possible. Often the TW does not create much content - he/she functions
primarily as a (high speed) editor. The TW will often have to commit to
due dates without sufficient knowledge about the scope of the job (this
is not estimating). I have found all of this especially true if the
client has not done any significant planning themselves.

2.) TW contractors and consultants working at smaller companies often
do a significant amount of project planning. And he/she often creates a
significant amount of original material. Unfortunately, assignments at
smaller companies often do not pay as much as at larger companies.

Please comment on any of the above. I seek feedback for career planning
reasons.

Tony Markatos