Re: Word Problems

Subject: Re: Word Problems
From: Meredith Hoffman <humantch -at- TIAC -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:27:08 -0500

At 4:42 PM -0500 1/29/98, Barry House wrote:

>>I am working working with Word documents that were converted from the
>>Macintosh to PC. I am having a miserable time with the headers and
>>footers. Wanted to find out if others of you are having similar problems.
>>
>>When I edit the header or footer, although it looks fine, one of two things
>>happens when I close the header/footer view or sometimes when I save and
>>exit the document and reopen it:
>>
>>1. Characters disappear, or
>>2. Strange characters show up in the middle of words or before page numbers.
>>
>>I can go back into the header or footer and edit them. Sometimes the edit
>>works, sometimes the pesky additions or deletions recur.
>>

>I haven't had exactly that problem, but I've had weird problems on the Mac
>side when I've worked with converted files. One fix that has worked for me
>is to disallow fast saves. In Word 97, select Options from the Tools menu.
>Then click on the Save tab in the dialog box and uncheck the "Allow fast
>saves" box.

When you save the source doc before moving it to the other platform, do a
Save As ... instead of a regular Save, and choose to overwrite the previous
version. This cleans up the buffered incremental saves of the file, and it
may solve this problem, too.

Meredith Hoffman
HumaniTech Ltd. Ph: 508-746-4662 and 650-323-1559
53 Russell Street FAX: 508-746-4115
Plymouth MA 02360 email: humantch -at- tiac -dot- net
http://www.tiac.net/users/humantch

Technical & Marketing Communications