Re: Help: 'Computer Operators Manual' or 'User Guide'

Subject: Re: Help: 'Computer Operators Manual' or 'User Guide'
From: COehrlein <COehrlein -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 23:07:36 EST

In a message dated 1/25/98 6:59:48 PM Central Standard Time,
mjordan -at- TSSC -dot- CO -dot- NZ writes:

> Is there any understood difference in the content of a document entitled
> 'Computer Operators Manual' and a 'User Guide'.

I'm not sure what your environment is. Our software runs on mini-computers.

For us, the operators are the people in the computer room that monitor all the
different systems (ours plus others), watching for warnings, error messages,
etc. Thus, our Operators Manual concentrates on monitoring the system, error
message meaning & action, backing up, etc.

The users are the actual users of our software, so the Users Guide has tasks
that sound like creating a new record, updating a record, etc.

Hope this helps!
Jo Oehrlein