Re: TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY

Subject: Re: TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY
From: "Collier,Michael" <Michael -dot- Collier -at- CNALIFE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:03:24 -0600

Roger Peterson (wy491 -at- VICTORIA -dot- TC -dot- CA) wrote:

> If you did not have all the latest computer technology and all that
> wonderful GUI "eye candy" would you still be drawn to technical
> writing. How interesting would it be if you used pencil,
> notepad, and an electric typewriter? Can you separate the
> technology from the task?

And those of us who remember the days when we delivered documentation
on stone tablets asked the same question of those who trumpeted the
virtues of papyrus...etc.

Those who devise, own or master new tools of communication have
great power to put forth their ideas, viewpoints and interpretations.
Look at all the trouble the printing press caused. If you have something
to say, you will use the easiest, swiftest, and most efficient means,
even if that means throwing away your beloved tools and learning to use
new ones (toss that chisel and find yourself some reeds, figure out how
to dry them etc.) Of course if you have nothing to say, it doesn't
matter.

Michael Collier
mailto:mcollier -at- cnalife -dot- com