Estimating how much to charge

Subject: Estimating how much to charge
From: "Stephen D. Martin" <smartin -at- STORM -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 23:59:01 -0500

I'm sure this topic has been discussed in some form or another before,
and I am searching the archives as I write this but am not having much
luck.

I have been handed a 108 page (not counting the boiler plate) manual
which I must clean up, edit and add to.

To be specific, the document is composed of three different sources,
each with their own styles/format, so I must standardize the format. I
also have to create the front-end information, change all of the future
tenses to present tense, and create the bibliography.

The client expects this back in a week or two (no problem there, the
work itself see,s simple enough), but they want me to give them an
estimate of the number of hours the job will take. I'm used to the
client giving me a strict deadline, and working against it.

Any advice on how to draw up my estimate and/or pointers on where I
should be looking in the archives would be appreciated.

Cheers!

--
Stephen D. Martin
President, Stephen Martin Enterprises