Re: TECHWR-L Digest - (about the STC)

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - (about the STC)
From: Ellen Siever <ellen -at- ORA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 10:43:20 -0500

Hi,

I've been lurking for some time, but this seems like a good time
to delurk. I want to respond to this, because I'd hate to
have anyone think that STC is full of stuffy, high-handed
people -- in my experience that couldn't be farther from the
truth.

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Joseph Gregg wrote:
> The members of the STC that I've met have been fine. However, I think
> the people who run the show are a bit high on themselves. I tried to
> sign up on the STC e-mail list and I got an e-mail back saying they
> can't find me on their membership list. Funny, they never question me
> when I send them my membership dues.

I don't know if this is what Joseph is referring to, but I
manage the email list for the Boston chapter of the STC and this
happened to me recently. Someone requested that I add him
to the list (I don't know if it was Joseph or not), I couldn't
find his name as a member and asked if he'd please let me know
that he's a Boston chapter member and I'd be glad to add him.
Never heard from him again.

Now, I'm not someone who "runs the show" in the STC. I'm simply
a local member who volunteered to do a job as a way of getting
involved. I don't have an official membership list, just the local
and national directories that are published once a year and are
therefore quickly out of date, and names of new members that
get published in the local newsletter. The list is for members
to find out about STC events and I'm supposed to ask. Most people,
simply write back, say yes, they're members, maybe say they just
joined and/or offer their membership number -- it's no big deal.
And I sign them up. I imagine there are other volunteers in other
chapters doing the same thing.

So, while I have neither the right nor the authority to speak
for the STC, I'm sorry Joseph had a bad experience, but I'd
urge both him and anyone else who might be concerned, not to
take offense but to realize that we're just a group of
volunteers trying to keep things going as best we can so the
most people can get the most benefit from their membership.

--Ellen

ellen -at- ora -dot- com or
esiever -at- world -dot- std -dot- com