User Interface Standards

Subject: User Interface Standards
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -dot- bledsoe -at- CMS-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:51:22 -0600

Gang,

Greets. I've been Nomail for a while.... but friends around the office
have been keeping me up on the "Whirlers"...

Our department has been given the opportunity to participate in a
redesign of our user interface. A few years ago, I was involved in a
project with a similar goal... but as we all know... standards change
with the times.

When I was last in this arena, the big name in terms of Windows
Interface design were IBM CUA and the Microsoft Manual of Style. This
however was for a Win 3.x environment. I haven't been too involved in
design for the Win95 shell.

My questions are: Since IBM CUA, is there anything new published that I
should be paying attention to? I can't talk much about he architecture
of the new work publicly, but I will say that JAVA will be involved, and
that we would need to know interface standards for it as well. Does Sun
or JavaSoft have anything published about their interface standards
that's newer than the OpenLook?

The bottom line, for those of you out there doing this sort of stuff,
what commercial style guides are you adhering to? If you want to
interject why you're adhering to those, that'd be great.

I'm still no mail... so I'd like you to respond to me personally, and
the list. Not just to the list. I will summarize, and send it on to
the list... in lets say a week or so.

Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated!!!

cheers,
Bill Bledsoe
Senior Technical Writer/Webmaster/Cat Herder - CMS
Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- cms-stl -dot- com or intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

Prediction 4
"The people who are studying Tai Chi Chuan instead
of saving money are planning to beat us up and take
our stuff when we've retired"

Scott Adams - The Dilbert Future
If Bill Said it, Bill said it... Not CMS. Got it?