Re: Software requirements writing

Subject: Re: Software requirements writing
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 08:55:08 -0700

Bruce Byfield added an important note to my previous post:

<However, I also suspect that, sooner or later, most writers are going
to find themselves faced with learning something they know nothing
about.

I suggest that, when this situation arises, the best model for a
tech-writer is that of an investigative reporter: somebody who knows
how to find information and make sense of it quickly.>

I know I'm not learning enough in one or two courses to be a true
business area expert. But I do learn enough to help me do a better job
of investigating. When I have a tight deadline (no time to do outside
learning) I definitely take the investigative reporter approach.

My suggestions referred to the "extra" things that have helped me write
requirements. I hope I didn't imply that they are a replacement for any
of the other things we need to do as technical communicators. They
aren't.

Jill Burgchardt