Jargon question: cleartext

Subject: Jargon question: cleartext
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <mark -at- MEMCO -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 14:12:11 +0200

I'd like to receive opinions-- based on authority, experience,
or overwhelming common sense-- about how to refer to the
transmission of unencrypted text messages.

Suggestions:

a. messages transmitted in clear
b. messages transmitted in cleartext
c. messages transmitted in clear text
d. cleartext messages
e. clear-text messages

Which is the best way to describe such transmission in
computerese? Which other ways are acceptable/unacceptable in
computerese? (The terminology of the defense community, if
different, is not uninteresting to us but it's not the language
we're trying to speak.)

Please send responses on this somewhat specialized subject to me
at the address below, and I'll summarize to the list if so requested.

- Mark L. Levinson - Memco Software - Wallenberg 24 - 69719 Tel Aviv
- mark -at- memco -dot- co -dot- il / tel. +972-3-6450049 / fax +972-3-6450001