Hiring: beyond qualifications

Subject: Hiring: beyond qualifications
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 09:09:54 EST

Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG> wrote:
> Whims? I don't think so. <snip> If you pay attention, you can find
> out who knows how to ask intelligent questions, who is a pompous
> windbag, who can admit when they've made a mistake, who is
> hard-headed and set in their ways, who has a sense of humor that
> matches your own, who uses spell-check... these are good things to
> know.

Yowza! Listen to her! Yee-haw!

> if you choose not to take advantage, that's your decision.

This rang a bell for me. I have a tough time going to STC meetings,
conferences, etc. and deliberately schmoozing people up. (We've
discussed this on the list before: what is true networking and what is
merely taking advantage of people?) I do it as much as I can, because
I know networking will help me personally and professionally and
because I enjoy helping others, too -- but it's still hard.

But when Tracy said techwr-l is really a networking opportunity --
and, by extension, so are the other lists I'm on -- well, Tracy, you
made my day. I can *do* this! It's fun! Maybe this networking thing
isn't as difficult as I'd thought!

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)