Re: Hiring Scenario

Subject: Re: Hiring Scenario
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:09:12 -0700

I think Julie's points are a good reminder to all of us that this
listserv has a wide and varied audience. Without becoming paranoid, I
do think it's smart to think before posting.

On the other hand, comments here are only a small part of who a
person is. If you go look up someone's comments, are you looking at
the whole dialog they participated in or just that individual's
comments?

Out of context, or in the limited context of a short post, many
comments made on this listserv may create a misperception of someone.
I've had other subscribers interpret things I've said in ways that
have surprised me. For example, several people commented on my
insensitivity to people over 40 with vision problems when I sent a
post asking about reducing point size. Well, if they'd met me in
person, they could have seen for themselves that I'm over 40 and my
glasses are well over half an inch thick (even with ultrathin
lenses). That's WHY I was concerned about maintaining readability at
a reduced point size. At least this was a minor misunderstanding that
I could easily clear up.

Judging by how often people come back to clarify themselves, I know
this happens to many others. Have you ever had a phone conversation
that failed to communicate? Well, in this arena we not only miss out
on face-to-face contact, we don't even have an audible tone of voice.

For some issues/circumstances, the risks associated with public
posting are just too great. I, for one, am glad Eric supports the
dialog by reviewing and submitting posts with the names withheld.

Jill Burgchardt
jburgcha -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov