Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers
From: Denise Winkelman <dwinkel3 -at- BANKERSSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:35:22 -0600

As a 23-year old tech writer with three years of experience, I am offended
by Anonymous's remark about the 23-year old "busybody" with the
"superiority complex."

Since when did a 23 year old writer displaying confidence in
his/her abilities get mistaken for having a superiority complex? Just
because they haven't paid their proverbial dues?

Contrary to Anonymous's opinion, some of us younger writers
know what we are doing. It is very disheartening to see the more
experienced members of our profession discrediting us. (Or, in Anonymous's
terminology, telling us to get out of the way.)

The fact is, the writers at WandA improved the documentation. That's what
technical writers do. Would we be having this discussion if they were
40-something and didn't write poetry?

Perhaps Anonymous could provide those of us he/she thinks have superiority
complexes exactly what we young 'uns need to do in order to be taken
seriously by our (more experienced) colleagues.

Denise Winkelman
Technical Writer
Bankers Systems, Inc.
Liberal Arts Grad, Poet, Generation Xer, Professional Writer Without a
Superiority Complex