Re: QUESTION: IBM Documentation Formats

Subject: Re: QUESTION: IBM Documentation Formats
From: Denise Martin <denisejm -at- US -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 16:00:24 -0500

The following note is directed to any IBM technical writers (Information
Developers as we're known here) on this list.

For some time it was my understanding that IBM was moving toward SGML for its
internal documentation. More recently I am hearing that some sites are using
an external vendor to convert Bookmaster documents to FrameMaker for PDF or
HTML output and others are using DynaText. The once desired SGML focus now
seems unclear.

As the sole Information Developer for my organization and the person
responsible for making our diverse documents available in a uniform manner, I
would very much like to know how other organizations are presenting their
internal documentation:

--Format (SGML, HTML, PDF, etc.)
--Access vehicle (web site, Lotus database,
etc.)
--Any other pertinent information

Please direct your comments to d_martin -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com -dot- I'll be glad to
summarize any responses.

Denise Martin, d_martin -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
(914) 433-9650, Tieline: 293-9650, Fax: (914) 432-9608
M/S P535, 522 South Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601