Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers
From: Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:31:06 -0600

It seems to me like the Post and this new company have very limited views
of the capabilities of technical writers. The statement of what this
company does: "turn driest technical data into understandable prose" seems
like a working definition of what good technical writers do. The Post
doesn't seem to get into the fact that a great deal of the technical
materials out there were not written by professional tech writers.

It sounds like they're philosophy is sound (if a little too gooey and
new-ageish), but it's really nothing that a good tech writing firm couldn't
do if called upon. I like the idea of using liberal arts majors, because I
was one, but I don't agree with their counting out tech writers as a group.
But my guess is that most of us could change our titles to "people-friendly
poet-communicators" and bring them samples of the work we're doing, and
they'd hire us. I'm sure Eric, with his experience writing books for the
"Dummies" series, would be a shoe-in (and I mean that in a complementary
fashion).

Anyway, it's nice to see some poor poets getting a chance to make an honest
living;>)
Jennifer Jelinek
Marketing Services Manager
Plymouth Products, Inc. Sheboygan, WI