Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- ITEXCHSRV2 -dot- PHX -dot- MCD -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:22:27 -0700

My reaction was "Wow. They're doin' what good technical writers do --
providing the right information to the right people." It seems to me
that they did not need to rediscover their business, just their audience
(which they apparently did well). Notice that they focused on the
marketing and sales people, who normally do not require the in-depth
technical, financial, or legal information that, for example, the system
engineers supporting the system would need (from the login example).

The article is an excellent reminder to focus on the AUDIENCE, not just
the information available. That way, you don't inundate your hapless
reader with information they will never need or use.

Jason

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Jason T. Willebeek-LeMair
Technical Writer/Editor