TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
The compay I work for is expanding its Tech Pubs Group and needs some key people. The following is the first position in the new expansion. Sorry if it's a bit long, but we are looking for someone special.
dazlin -at- shore -dot- net
dazlin -at- genscan -dot- com
General Scanning, Laser Systems Division is a manufacturer of marking and laser-based resistor trimming systems and IC repair equipment. A unit of publically owned General Scanning, Inc., we are currently located in Somerville, MA, but will be moving to larger facilities in Wilmington, MA, in December 1997. Thanks to innovation, foresight and hard work we've experienced double digit growth for several years running, and we expect our success to continue.
The Laser Systems Division has always pushed the limits of engineering challenges with products that are far ahead of the field - products that combine mechanics, optics, magnetics, electronics, and software to accomplish the intricate task of accurately positioning and controlling laser energy, frequently at micron scale. Superior performance has made us a leading provider of customized laser solutions to the world's most demanding organizations.
We provide a competitive benefits package including: medical, dental, vision, life, STD and LTD insurance, 401K retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, vacation, profit sharing based on organizational success and a non-smoking work environment. EOE.
Job Title: Senior Tech Writer
Ref. Position No. 97-091
Produces operational, maintenance and related manuals for an industrial engineering audience. The successful candidate must be quality oriented and able to accept responsibility for work assignments in support of a documentation project team working on multiple printed and on-line documents. Work assignments may range from researching and documenting a simple procedure to building a complete manual or managing a project team. You will be responsible for gathering and distilling engineering information into an intelligent, efficient and usable document.
This position requires a technical communications specialist who is detail-oriented, self-directed, flexible, and has a proven ability to multitask and solve problems creatively. The successful candidate is expected to adjust his/her writing and presentation style to address the unique needs of users with differing levels of engineering competence, interest, and industry based concerns.
* 3 to 5 years of demonstrated technical writing/editing experience in a systems development and/or product development environment, preferable dealing with high-tech industrial products.
* Proficiency in FrameMaker 5.x in a Windows 95/NT environment.
* BA/BS or higher in a technical discipline, preferably in Engineering or the hard sciences.
* The ability to meet deadlines.
* Excellent organizational and communications skills.
* Prior experience working with engineers and the ability to "speak their language."
* Basic line-drawing skills using CorelDraw or similar tools.
* Familiarity with manufacturing environments, especially the semiconductor and related industries.
* Familiarity with Unix, Windows, MS-DOS, software development and software documentation. A knowledge of C/C++ is helpful.
* Experience with Adobe Acrobat & on-line help.
* An understanding of human factors in document design.
* Writing samples.
To apply for an available position at GSI/LSD:
1.Send us your resume via e-mail, resumes -at- genscan -dot- lasersys -dot- com
2.Send us your resume via snail mail, ATTN: Human Resources
General Scanning, Inc., Laser Systems Division
32 Cobble Hill Rd.
Somerville, MA 02143
3.Send us your resume via fax: 617-628-7966 ATTN: Human Resources
4.If applicable, include the job code for the position you are applying to
http://www.documentation.com/, or http://www.dejanews.com/