Re: importing Word 97 rtf files into Frame

Subject: Re: importing Word 97 rtf files into Frame
From: Dan Azlin <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 23:06:52 -0500

Beware the Office97 bag-o-bugs!

Actually, the problem is that Word 8 (from Office 97) includes a new RTF
format. And, since Microsoft forgot to warn people before the fact, other
apps like Frame will have to "catch up" in the next release. Fortunately,
MS has received mountains of flak about this and other problems with the
Office97 "suite", and has just announced the mother of all patchs... 7+MB
worth, available for downloading from their web site. Their solution is to
give you the option of using the new or old RTF format when you save.

As a work around, you might want to try saving your file in Word6 format
and importing that...

Good Luck!
Dan Azlin

At 05:36 PM 12/15/97 -0500, Katherin King wrote:
>Has anyone else had trouble importing Word 97 files saved in .rtf
>format into FrameMaker 5.5? I'm running on a NT 4.0 platform. I've
>searched the archives, and the Adobe web site, but the solution eludes
>me. I get the "Unknown File Format" dialog, select "Windows RTF" and get
>to 99% complete on the conversion, then it hangs.
>

>Kathy Stanzler
>Technical Writer
>Brooktrout Technology Inc.
>Southborough, MA
>(508) 229-7777 ext. 182
>kking -at- brooktrout -dot- com

Dan Azlin ** WORD ENGINEERS, Technical Writing & Publishing **
dazlin -at- shore -dot- net 7 Myrtle Street
ph/fax 508-921-8908 Beverly, MA 01915-3315