Re: Translators Summary

Subject: Re: Translators Summary
From: "Jacobson, Avi (PBD)" <Avi -dot- Jacobson -at- PBDIR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:11:20 -0800

E.T. Hull Wrote:

> Hello all,
> Some time ago I posted the following:
> "After seeing, and saving, some of the reactions to this thread (RE.
> translations) I began to wonder:
> - how many translators are on this list and
> - what do they do and where are they".
>
> Following is a summary of the replies I received.

E.T.,

I missed your original posting. I recently relocated back to the US
after 27 years in Israel. I have subscribed to this list for several
months - first from Israel, and now from my new/old home.

In Israel, I worked as a free-lance translator (mostly Hebrew-English,
including a fair amount of technical translation), commercial writer,
and technical writer (in English). I have now been hired as a full-time
technical writer at the American affiliate company of the Israeli
software house which was my largest client in Israel. While now
officially a "technical writer" (I am negotiating a change in title
toward something more along the lines of "corporate communicator"), my
de facto job continues to include a certain amount of informal
translation, since about 90% of the staff here at the San Francisco site
are Israeli with varying degrees of proficiency in English.

Regards,
Avi

PS I have taken the liberty of posting this on the list despite the fact
that your original posting probably asked for emailed replies, since my
input missed the boat on your summary. My apologies to Eric and others
if this is a breach of list rules.

--
Avi Jacobson, email: Avi -dot- Jacobson -at- pbdir -dot- com | When an idea is
or: AviJ -at- amdocs -dot- com | wanting, a word
| can always be found
Opinions are those of the poster, =NOT= of | to take its place.
Amdocs, Inc. or Pacific Bell Directory. | -- Goethe