QUESTION: screen captures in PDF

Subject: QUESTION: screen captures in PDF
From: Jennifer Gantner <Jennifer_Gantner -at- CYBORG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:37:08 -0600

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions about converting hardcopy to PDF.
We are going to go with the overwhelming recommendation: smaller PDFs using
Catalog to create a master index.

It's working great so far, except the screen captures look terrible. I
researched the archives and tried the 134% zoom in Exchange3.0. I also
tried my Exchange and FrameMaker settings at 72 DPI. Nothing is working.
The other graphics look great, just the screen captures are corrupted. They
look bad online and in hardcopy. Right now we're using PaintShopPro to
import the screens from FrameMaker5.5. My research has been fruitless so
far. Any suggestions? TIA.

My company has just made the decision to convert all of our hardcopy
manuals into PDF format on cd-rom. We have one manual that is 6 volumes,
each volume containing approx 350 pages. The manual was created in
FrameMaker 5.1, but we can convert to 5.5. We want to condense these files
into one large searchable PDF file, using the article feature in Exchange.
We would like to make the PDF searchable by articles, using chapter
headings to define each article.
Can anyone share their experience with this feature and with similar
projects? Should we do any special formatting in Frame first, before
converting? Is the file size too large? Ultimately we want things to be as
easy as possible for our customers, and we have a great opportunity to
start from the ground up with this project, so we want to do it right.
We use Windows95 on a PC-LAN.
TIA