Re: good print/online font

Subject: Re: good print/online font
From: "Michael A. Lewis" <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:43:27 +1100

Kristin Nietz wrote:
<snip>
> ... we would prefer to make a complete change
> so that the online books and the printed books look exactly the same.
>
> ... Do you have any suggestions
> of a font that can handle this double duty; that is, it can be equally
> functional/readable whether online or in print?

We covered much of this ground a few weeks back. The cause of the
problem is the significant difference in resolution (dpi) between screen
and print: fonts designed for printing don't get the right fine detail
on screen, and fonts designed for screen usually look coarse on paper.
Help is at hand, through the unlikely agency of Microstuff. You can
download (free!) a pair of fonts -- Georgia (Roman) and Verdana
(sans-serif) that look good both ways. Trouble is, they keep changing
their web site, so I can't give you a reliable URL for the download.
Just get into www.microsoft.com and hunt!
--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!