Re: good print/online font

Subject: Re: good print/online font
From: "Michael A. Lewis" <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 13:10:08 +1100

Karen Cranston wrote:

> The only thing to keep in mind is that there are some restrictions on
> how you can use the free fonts. This is what MS sent to me when I
> inquired about using them in our online help:
>
> "You can specify the font in your Web pages. You can embed the font on
> your Web pages (using our WEFT tool). You can specify the font using
> Winhelp. You can post if for download on your Web site. But
> unfortunately you can't supply the font with a commercial product."

I _think_ there's a difference between "supply" and "use" here. I can't
see why you shouldn't specify the font in a Word doc just as you can in
WinHelp or HTML. I interpret the restriction to be on font embedding and
inclusion of TTF files in commercial products, which means you're
on-selling something you don't own.
--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!