Re: QUESTION: British vs. American spelling

Subject: Re: QUESTION: British vs. American spelling
From: Gail Gurman <gail -at- HOMEMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 18:46:18 +0000

MD> Yes, this sounds like complete bullshit to me too. So here's the
MD> question I'd like to put to our esteemed American colleagues: If you
MD> read a text that uses British spellings but is otherwise completely
MD> neutral,

MD> a) does it bother you?
MD> b) does it somehow impede your comprehension?

It doesn't bother me, per se--in fact, being an anglophile, I quite
like it--but it can be distracting. It takes me out of what I'm
reading. It's similar to the way a badly written phrase in an
otherwise good novel can break the reader's illusion of being in the
story.

If you're describing a feature of your software, you want your
reader's attention to be on that feature, not what spelling you use.

--
Gail Gurman | Email -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- gail -at- homemail -dot- com
Technical Writer | Personal Web Page.....http://www.wco.com/~gailg/

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!