Re: Inch Per Second

Subject: Re: Inch Per Second
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 21:53:39 -0800

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:36:56 -0400, Yvette Anaya wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can find a reference for an abbreviation for Inch
>Per Second? Should it be listed as an acronym, IPS (Inch Per Second), ips,
>or I/S?

As far as the recording industry goes, the (probably ad-hoc) standard is
"ips". It's usually pronouced that way, too. "This tape deck can run at
fifteen ips or thirty ips." That's also the only place I've seen this
measurement used, especially on a regular basis.

Of course, "ips" is probably not technically proper, but -- know thy
audience -- in this biz it's about the only way you'll get the term
recognized without forcing regular trips to the Glossary :-)

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>

Master of puppets, I'm pulling your strings
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
Blinded by me, you can't see a thing
Just call my name 'cause I'll hear you scream...
MASTER! MASTER!
-Metallica, "Master of Puppets"