Re: Contracting: for the Robust Only

Subject: Re: Contracting: for the Robust Only
From: Hillary Russak <hrussak -at- SLAC -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 08:36:25 -0700

Maury,

Thanks for your very personal share. I'm sorry to hear about your loss and
can relate to some of the feelings that followed.

I was very lucky to be employed when I went through a personal tragedy.
The disability income was measly, but, when combined with a cash-out of one
of my retirement plans, it was enough to keep me afloat until I could
return to work. I can't imagine how it would have been if I had no
financial choice but to barrel-on through.

Your post brought up two thoughts:
1) As contractors in the US, I think we still have the option of filing for
state disability. I *know* it is a paltry amount of money (and is often
the same amount offered by an employer... it was in my case), but I think
that's an option. (Granted, the filing procedure is probably considerable
work... MD documentation, and all...)

2) I believe we all face some very hard times. Despite our cynical hard
shells, I don't think there are all that many "robust" among us, if
"robust" means without personal tragedies. We are all, at times, robust.
At other times, we are facing the myriad possible trials a full life offers.

Thanks for the reminder that we should plan for life's challenges and know
what we'll do to survive during those times.
I'm glad you're back on your feet.
-hil

>Fellow TECHWR-Lers,
>
>I follow the comments on contracting with interest, not only because I
>worked as a contractor for quite some time, but also because in our field,
>everyone has to choose whether to go the route of contractor or staff
>writer when a project closes, a company ceases to exist, or other such
>events that are common in high-tech. None of us are ever that far away from
>becoming contractors.
>
>When I first worked as a contractor, I was particularly energetic, so I
>found the bustle stimulating. I rather enjoyed the unorthodox life style I
>could maintain during that period. However, all that ended when my brother
>died in 1996. There were many aspects of his death that affected me very
>severely, and while I couldn't afford to stay inactive for long periods of
>time, I probably should have. I experienced the most terrifying spells of
>exhaustion and fatigue that brought me close to collapsing any number of
>times. I wrongly assumed I could resume as I had before, but the tragedy
>had taken more out of me than I could have ever realized. It was only
>later, when I started missing deadlines because I couldn't give that extra
>push that I used to give to get the work done, that I knew that I had to
>end it.
>
>I've since returned to a salaried position. The adjustment was not easy,
>but I'm able to function normally again. I still get calls for contract
>work, which I politely decline. I know that I can't go back to it again.
>
>Nobody can know how a personal tragedy will affect him/her until it
>happens. When it does, backup is necessary. Maybe it was just my experience
>that was particularly harsh, but I would not return to contracting because
>I now realize just how fragile an existence it was. Aside from all the
>bureaucracy that is required to end a self-employed status, which I have
>yet to complete, I just don't have any memories to treasure now.

Hillary M. Russak, Technical Writer
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ES&H Division, Waste Management Department
hrussak -at- slac -dot- stanford -dot- edu
Office: (650) 926-3193
Pager: (650) 940-0741