Re: On-line Help: Arial v. Times New Roman

Subject: Re: On-line Help: Arial v. Times New Roman
From: Gurudutt Kamath <guruk -at- GIASBM01 -dot- VSNL -dot- NET -dot- IN>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 06:53:05 +0530

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Ron D Rhodes wrote:

> To make a long story short, a savvy HDK developer told me that, for
> on-line help, Times New Roman is harder to read than Arial. I
> consequently took a fresh look at my help file and now I think she
> might be right.

Hello Ron,

Even I went through a similar experience as yours. I converted my hard
copy user manual to online Help retaining good old Times New Roman. On
this very list I read that sans serif font reads better on screen. I just
went back and changed to Arial. It does look look better now.

Just the information about sans serif font for online help was enough for
me to change. I am sure more people will also have similar experiences to
share.

If you are still not convinced look at all Help files (RoboHelp, Windows,
etc), look at web sites, look at CD ROMs, games, etc. My feeling is a
majority will be using sans serif fonts. Those who don't do not realize
the difference.

Best wishes.

Guru

guruk -at- giasbm01 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in
http://members.tripod.com/~Kamath